[Community] converting 2D grid to contour polygon shapefiles

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:46:16 EEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Bryan Woods <bwoods at aer.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has experience or tips on how to convert a fixed 2D
> lat/lon grid to contoured polygon shapefiles. I've figured out how to use
> Basemap to produce the contours. My stumbling block right now is converting
> those contours into reliable shapefiles. Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

What form do the basemap/matplotlib contours take? Numpy arrays?
Assuming that you have a contour line with a scalar attribute and
represented by an array of longitudes and an array of latitudes, you
can write a shapefile using ogr.py, one feature per line. None of the
software supported by this here email list (Shapely, etc) write data
to disk in GIS formats.

--
Sean